Last week we learned that Jesus Christ is preeminent. That is, God has given him power and authority over all of Creation until all things are put under his feet.
• 1 Corinthians 15:27-28 For he hath put ____________________ under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
All the power and authority of the Godhead is present in Jesus Christ, yet Christ’s ultimate purpose in his work is that God the father would be glorified as all in all.
1 Cor 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.
Today we will see that the life of Jesus Christ and his substitutionary death on the cross were not only in God’s plan from the beginning, but that they are clearly foreshadowed throughout the Old Testament.
• Luke 24:25-27. In these verses, the resurrected Christ is speaking to men on the road to Emmaus. Q. According to verse 25, who did Jesus say they were slow to believe?
Q. According to verse 26, what facts did all the prophets speak of?
Q. v27. What portions of Scripture did Jesus use to teach these men about himself?
Jesus indicated that the Old Testament scripture, and all the prophets testified of himself and his suffering on the cross. Jesus repeated this in John 5 while speaking to the Jews.
• John 5:39 Search _________________________________; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which _____________________________
Whether we are reading the Old Testament or the New, Jesus Christ is the common theme. While reading the Bible, we ought always look for Christ, whether pictured, prophesied of, or present, all of the scriptures are about Him!
Pictures of Christ in the Old Testament
• Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a _________________;but the body is of Christ.
Although the Old Testament scriptures are replete with foreshadowings, or types of Jesus Christ, time and space will permit us to only look briefly at a few examples.
The Bible indicates that Adam is both a type and a contrast of Jesus Christ. Today we will deal with the areas in which Adam typified Christ.
• Romans 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam’s transgression, who is the ______________________________.
His unique birth and position
Adam was the firstborn, and had dominion over all of creation (Gen 1:26). Christ is the only begotten of the father and has dominion over all (Eph 1:20,21).
His headship over the human race
Adam was the progenitor of the fallen human race. Jesus entered his creation to become the head of a new creation.
• 1 Cor 15:22 For as in ___________ all _______, even so in __________ shall all be made ____________________
His bride taken from his wounded side.
In Gen 2 we are told that God caused a sleep to fall upon Adam. At which time God opened Adams side in order to make Eve his wife. This is a direct picture of our relationship to Jesus Christ. Like Adam, Jesus was wounded for us (Isa 53:5), his side was opened (John 19:34), and all for the purpose of bringing his bride to Him. This is the allusion in Ephesians chapter five.
• Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your _________________________ even as Christ also loved the _________________,and gave himself for it;
• Ephesians 5:27 That he might ________________________ a glorious church….
Q. What similarities are there between Eph 5:30, and Gen 2:23?
Jesus, our Ark of Safety
Another Old Testament picture of the coming savior is that of Noah’s ark.
The Ark was the Means of Salvation from Coming Judgment
• Genesis 6:13-14 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, ___________________________________ with the earth. 14 Make thee _____________________ of gopher wood…
• Hebrews 11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the _____________________ of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the _________________________which is by __________________________.
Noah, warned of the coming judgment, obeyed God by faith. His acceptance of God’s plan by faith, made him the heir of righteousness. Compare this to • Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for ___________________________to every one that __________________________.
The Ark was Planned by God
We read in Genesis 6, God’s instruction to Noah regarding the ark. Genesis 6:15 begins “And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of”. The ark, God’s means of salvation from the coming judgment, was planned entirely by the Father. Not one element of design was left for Noah’s creation.
The Ark was Sealed. Noah sealed the ark with pitch (Gen 6:14), making it impenetrable by the judgment waters. We are sealed in Christ by the Holy Spirit of God. • 2 Corinthians 1:22 Who hath also _____________ us, and given the earnest of the________________________in our hearts.
The Ark had Only one Door. Gen 6:16 tells us the ark was designed with only one means to enter. Jesus Christ alone is the way to the Father (John 14:6). • John 10:9 I am the ______________: by me if any man ________ in, he shall be ____________, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
The Ark Ushered in the Rainbow Covenant. Once God’s watery judgment ceased, he gave man the rainbow covenant, signifying his promise never again to judge the world in such a manner. Rev 10:1, speaking of Christ says: And I saw another mighty angel come down from heaven, clothed with a cloud: and a ___________________ was upon his head, and his face was as it were the sun, and his feet as pillars of fire:. Jesus bears the rainbow of peace, reminding his church that Judgment has passed.
Noah and his family were safe in the ark of salvation. He found grace, obeyed by faith and became an heir of righteousness. What a clear picture of our salvation in Jesus Christ!
Other Old Testament Pictures of Christ
The types and pictures of Jesus in the Old Testament are far too numerous to deal with in this small study. See if you can answer the following questions regarding a few more foreshadowings of Jesus.
What are the Old Testament pictures of Christ as recorded in these passages? What are some ways you think they are related?
Q. John 6:32-35. (Exodus 15 – )
The Brazen Serpent
Q. John 3:14,15 (Number 21:8,9)
The Passover Lamb
Q. 1 Cor 5:7 (Exodus 12:21 – )
Q. Matthew 12:40
Q. Hebrews 7
By reading through Genesis 37,39-41,45-46 you can see many similarities between Joseph and Jesus. Considering reading these chapters and recording your observations.